Thursday, January 19, 2012

Sarcasm

Sarcasm -
First the definition: noun
  1. A cutting, often ironic remark intended to wound.
  2. A form of wit that is marked by the use of sarcastic language and is intended to make its victim the butt of contempt or ridicule.
Origin: Late Latin sarcasmus, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein, to bite the lips in rage, from sarx, sark-, flesh.
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.

I do not like sarcasm.  I very much agree with the first definition above. The person dishing out the sarcasm may be laughing and telling the intended recipient they are joking and don't mean it. Oh come on its just sarcasm.  I just want to tell them yes it is and it is very hurtful!  Stop taking the easy way out. You mean what you are saying and trying to guise it as something else.  Are you that insecure with yourself that you can't sit down and talk to the person and discuss with them what is bothering you?

What I think is even funnier are the biggest offenders of sarcasm complain about people being mean to them. Sarcasm IS Meaness.  How dare you use it on other people and then complain about mean people!
I hear people talking how it is socially acceptable and even in fashion to use sarcasm. Again I disagree. Yes sarcasm is way over used but I can guarentee that if you are on the receiving end of it all the time you will not like it.
I am sure you are now thinking that I have been the reciever of an over abundance of sarcasm. No, I have not received more than other people. I have just observed the negative results on many people of such actions. It is hurtful.

I have to admit that I have even used sarcasm during my more insecure days of my life. Yes, I used it to try and fit in and to hide the pain I was in.  I can only imagine how many people are in pain if they all use it to hide their troubles. I know a lady at work that does this. Her husband berates her all the time so she uses sarcasm to help cope. If they don't use sarcasm to hide pain, they are just plain mean, self-serving, hypocrites.  There is one particular person I know that uses it all the time. They try very hard to prove how good they are by attending church and bragging how they did this or that. Then turn around and use sarcasm and talk about people behind their backs all the time. How sad...This person is intelligent and should know better but insecurity gets the best of them.

What I need to do more of is call people out when they are using sarcasm. I need to get braver and speak out. To protect those that the sarcasm is being adressed to and to get people to be quiet if they can't seem to say anything nice.
How do you feel about sarcasm?


Signed,

Sarcasm Sucks

No comments:

Post a Comment