Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Garden time


Yes I know I should NOT let my vegetable garden go weeks without attention. This tangle of weeds is the result. Way at the far end of this mess you can see my pretty clump of chives but other than that - HIDEOUS.


We started Friday night. After a quick dinner, I said let's head out and start on the garden because I knew it was going to take a long time to fix. We started by weeding the potatoes. The weeds were taller than the potatoes so it needed serious work. Plus after potatoes are up you need to mulch them with straw.  We were approximately 1/2 way done weeding when rumble rumble (thunder). I looked up at the sky and said "REALLY?" This is the ONLY weekend I have to work on our vegetable garden so if you want me to feed my family please hold off on the rain.  The response? More rumbling. I told hubby to pull faster and start putting down the straw. So he is putting down the straw and we run out! I finish frantically pulling as the lightning starts to kick in. We rush into the house to more rumblings. I was shown who is boss...

Fast forward to the next morning. We had an early morning rain shower but by noon it had cleared up and heated up. Boy was it H-O-T! We dug in on weeding, mulching and planting. Here is a section of garden we previously had planted. I weeded and mulched the radish, lettuce, onion, and garlic plants. Looking better.


Approximately 5 1/2 hours later of solid work by hubby and I we finally planted the last kernel of sweet corn.  So in addition to what was mentioned above and the sweet corn. We also have green squash, yellow squash, honeydew melon, cucumbers, green beans, beets, two kinds of tomatoes, 2 kinds of peppers, and carrots.  Can you say exhausted? Neither one of us could hardly move and I acquired a nasty sunburn on my back. Look at the final product. Looks pretty nice right now!

I made a nice bucket of adult beverages and we rested on the deck while drinking them. We then went out for dinner as neither one of us could cook a thing. We have been on Advil for a couple days now trying to work out the kinks in our backs, necks, arms, legs.  I will try to update the garden topic occasionally throughout the year as it takes a LOT of our time.  The fresh produce is very worth it though for healthy eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment