Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Foiled!!!

I think one reason we are happily married is my husband's ability to put up with me! I am a doer. I like to get a LOT of things done. I like to get things done when he would rather rest.  The following is my story of one such recent attempt for him to rest and me having nothing to do with it.  In the end hubby was able to accomplish his task but what should have taken a couple hours took quite a bit longer. Now sit back and enjoy the story.

Before I get started on the story, I have to tell you that hubby made me open a gift on Christmas Day. This is only unusual as the kids were not around or we would have opened all our gifts that day.  I received a beautiful pair of earrings. I wanted to wait to open all of my gifts at once when kids were around but he wouldn’t take no for an answer. So I relinquished and opened the gift.  This will be important later in the story. Now back to the story, or should I say onto the story… We had off work Monday. Hubby wanted to spend the afternoon napping and asked me to join him. I said we have been napping and being lazy for the past 3 days! I say Time to get something done. Well to hubby, lazy time is getting something done. I was having NONE of that. (Can't you just picture me stand there with hands on hips while he is on couch???) The rear brakes and rotors needed changing on our daily drive to work car, the Impala. I suggested he work on those while I bake and work in the house. He can have “man” time in the garage. He was not to keen on that idea but did the man mumble grumble and went to the garage.
After about a ½ hour he comes in with Excuse #1. I don’t have the parts and I don’t have any money to buy the parts.  Response #1 – take my debit card and go buy them. Foiled! So off he goes to auto store for parts. A while later I peek out to the garage and see cars rearranged so he can work on them but there has been no real work completed yet.
A bit later he again comes into the house. Excuse #2-I can’t do this job. The jack will not work and I am not working without a proper jack. He looks so proud of himself. He has found a way to get out of completing this task today.  Response #2 – Follow me.  So I take him by the hand out to the living room, set him down and dig for a Christmas present. I push it in front of him to open. Foiled again!
Excuse #3 – A look of horror crosses his face. I can’t open that. It’s not time.  Response #3 – Oh yes you must dear husband. I had to open one, and so now you must too! And Foiled Again!
Excuse #4 – But opening that will make me have to do work. (said in whiny voice) Response #4 – head rolling. Just open the d*mn present and be thankful.  More whining and delaying ensues. All to no avail of course.
Finally, he opens the gift, man grumbles and proceeds back to the garage. He gets one side complete and  the 2nd tire off when he looks at the second set of brake pads. They are defective!!! Back to the store for another pair, only to discover they do not have another pair for an exchange. Instead he has to get 2 new sets of completely different pads and redo the first side again! It ended up being a long day for him. I, of course, had no pity as all the excuses wiped any pity I had away. J  I still laugh hard at telling this story.

I love my husband! Thank YOU hubby for letting me write about this.

No comments:

Post a Comment